Where does the project ideas comes from? The answer is It comes from some of the problems, opportunities and directives. A short definition of problem, opportunity and directive is given below which is defined for organization
Problem: An undesirable situation that prevents the organization from fully achieving its goals or objectives
Opportunity: A chance to improve the organization even in the absence of the identified problems
Directives: A new requirement that is imposed by the management, government and or external influence
So while working on the projects various problems arises. It cannot be predicted. But if we follow some framework it becomes easier to solve the problem. One of the framework developed by the James Wetherbe is known as PIECES, where each of the letter represents a category. We have six categories in this framework which are enlisted below:
- P the need to correct or improve the ‘Performance’
- I the need to correct or improve the ‘Information (and data)’
- E the need to correct or improve the ‘economics, control costs or profits’
- C the need to correct or improve ‘control or security’
- E the need to correct or improve ‘efficiency of people and process’
- S the need to correct or improve ‘service to customers, suppliers, partners, employees and so on’
The categories as shown above may overlap. Some problems are in such a way that their solution may fall on one or all of the categories. So The problem must be identified and solved as per requirement.
2 thoughts on “The PIECES framework for solving the problem”
can you give me an example of the pieces framework?? i dont know how to answer it,, please help me… thanks a lot 🙂
any body knows the history of PIECES framework?